Sunday, May 30, 2010

easy rider

Dennis introduced me to the world of Pop Art and 'lost' films. We rode the highways of America and changed the way movies were made in Hollywood. - Peter Fonda

Dennis Hopper
R.I.P.
17/5/1936-29/5/2010
About a year ago on the plane on my way out of Aus I read an article about Hopper and his photography. His life has been so interesting, his role in Rebel Without a Cause, writer/director of Easy Rider and his stunning performance as Frank in Blue Velvet. I knew about his battle with drugs and you can glean a little of his out there attitude from interviews and performances. What I didn't know was that he was an avid photographer and spent time with Warhol in the factory days. While running from the law and living in Mexico Hopper had rolls upon rolls of film, boxes of proofs and photographic print that documented life in Hollywood, New York and amongst Hoppers friends. He was also a painter and his paintings have been confirmed to be in an upcoming show at MOCA.

Hopper passed away peacefully this morning at his home in Venice, California aged 74.

No comments:

Post a Comment