Wednesday, May 26, 2010

heat-wave

So, its been a fun weekend. Probably my last weekend off in the UK until the weekend just before i leave. Its all a bit sad... LC and I went out on friday to the Social in central. She met me after work and we drank some cheap Australian wine sitting around on table four. We had to drop of a blood request form at the national hospital on our way because Lauren had accidentally taken it home and it needed to be there first thing on monday. It was very strange being in a Hospital drunk. I can't imaging what it was like being in the hospital in which you work while drunk. I think i just stood there kind of swaying and trying to look sober but kind of giggling and pretending to concentrate on my phone. I don't like hospitals much so it was a weird situation. 

LC and I started off with some nice cosmos. And then some more cosmos. And then another round. And then we were ready to dance and it was brilliant. We requested single ladies and danced with some cute boys. Two of them came out for a cigarette with me and the other stayed inside with LC. When we came back one of them bought me a drink which was awfully nice (especially because i am but-raped-poor). Then we danced some more and it became very obvious that two of the boys couldn't figure out which one of them was going for LC. How hard is it to call dibs boys? seriously. So i grabbed my boy and went outside for a smoke so we could figure out which one fancied her. But then I realised how cute he was and that he had lovely gappy teeth and so it was a little while until we got back inside to figure out the whole tug-o-war situation. By then LC was over it so we snuck out and called it a night. Or should i say night-bus which by the way took about 2 hours to get us home. 
On Saturday it was sunny and hot and beautiful. Lc and I went to Broadway market for breakfast and sat in London Fields. Apparently someone got shot there, but it must have been after we left. After that we went to Wilkinson gallery to have another look at Ged Quinn's exhibition, which BTW is fantastic and i really need to write something about. And then we headed down to Roman Road Market. One of the best things about London is the crazy amount of history. Its called Roman road because its where the romans used to walk. Now it has this sprawling tacky market with things that fell off trucks. I picked up some cheap mascara and some fashion remnants from the 90's. Lc got a cropped floral denim jacket and a skirt with birds. 
Saturday night started with vodka and cranberry, girl talk and bare legs (gosh it was so hot!). We met up with Lily at 1001 for her birthday and then went on to book club. After that we had to meet up with a friend at the Macbeth and ended up going to an after party in Aldgate East. It was all east London kinda bratty boys, but at least they weren't hipsters. there were some real pretty fashion girls and this really short unattractive guy who always seemed to have two cans of beer balancing on top of each other in his hand. He thought it was amusing to say things like "chuck a shrimp of the barbie". English people are stupid. I think we left around 530 or 6ish and caught the 25 home. It was totally packed considering the hour and I got really claustro, thought i was going to vom. 
On Sunday Lc and I had planned a big trip up to Stoke Newington because we had heard about the jewish population and boy am i fascinated by orthodox jews. When I went to melbourne i saw more in a day than i had ever seen in my life. I was hoping Stoke Newington would be the same. 

from our youth >>>I went to an off licence and a few suspicious looking Jewish guys tried to chat me up. Me, naturally eager to knowledge, to one of them: What shall I do with you? Play with your two curls? Do you only wear black and white? You should wear more colours or is that not Jewish enough for Jewish men? Do you always wear your little hat? What's it called?'' The guy laughed and said: ''I like you''. The muslim shopkeeper said: ''Would you like to know anything about muslims?'' ''No, I already know a lot. Thanks.''

HAHA. we saw lots of jews, it was wonderful. There were amazing little boys with the most perfect curls. It was just the best. We also went to an amazing cemetery, you can see more pictures here. Then we caught the east london line home. Some people that i have talked to say that the whole line is stupid and doesn't help anyone. Well, i think they are stupid. If something doesn't directly benefit you on a daily basis it doesn't mean that it couldn't benefit someone else. Its the same with people in Adelaide talking about the tram. The best thing about the East London line, aside from the ample head room and air conditioned bliss, is the amazing view it affords over the skyline of east London. The building below is one of the highlights!



No comments:

Post a Comment