Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I Read

In the back of Pen Pusher magazine they have a little section asking interesting people about what they read. I thought I'd give it a go too. 

1. Your favourite genre of reading mater: fiction, poetry, biography, comic, other?
Science Fiction, I love short stories by Phillip K Dick and J G Ballard and of course Frank Herbert's Dune. 


2. Your favourite book about Art?
It has to be Art in Theory- a collection of writing about art and correspondence between artists from 1900-2000.  I also rate the 1974 edition of ART NOW and I Love Dick by Chris Kraus which is about art as life. 


3. The book that has influenced me the most?
I must have read Joan Makes History by Kate Grenville about 10 times. It taught me that I could be anything, that being a girl means things are different but I shouldn't let it get in the way, especially not in the modern world. I love Grenvilles playful style of writing and also the Australian setting. I have to say, I really love contemporary Australian writing. 


4. Your favourite character(s) in literature?
Lucinda from Carey's Oscar and Lucinda. His characters are always so flawed and the story is woven so beautifully around them. I have also always had a soft spot for Elizabeth Bennett in Pride and Prejudice. 


5. Favourite place to buy books?
The Shakespeare and company bookshop at Saint Michels in Paris. An absolutely beautiful bookshop and a haven for fantastic literature in English in Europe. No longer will you be forced to read vampire fantasy trash while on 8 hour train rides. 


6. Best book cover?
Charlotte Roche's Wetlands, the pink with the avocado. You have no idea what you are in store for. 

7. Most well thumbed?
John Marsden's Tomorrow When the War Began series. 


8. Your favourite childrens book?
Nobody. It was about a skeleton and all of the images were fantastic, dark, terrifying photographs. I also loved my grandma's girl guide Annuals. 

9. Favourite place to read?
In the sunshine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment