Tuesday, June 22, 2010

oh, London town

I'll be leaving this great city in just under two weeks, so i thought it would be a good time to reflect on what London means to me and to my friends. I asked a few of my chums to answer some questions about what they thought about London. The first installation is from the lovely Lola. She Lived in Paris originally, but then moved to London for a year and has now been back in Australia for 5 months. 

1. Why did you move to London? The best way to answer this is to say why I decided to leave Australia in the first place. For me it was a personal thing, I just felt that I had come to a point living in Adelaide where I wasn't going anywhere as a person. I was stuck going out to the same places, doing the same things, seeing the same people. I felt stagnant and bored. Ive always had an interest in traveling (I was lucky enough pretty much to do 2 world trips before the age of 21) and venturing out and seeing the world seemed like the thing to do. I think I always had this whimsical, fairytale view of an amazing life, gallivanting through Europe and I got to the point where I just needed to do it for myself. To see what the world could offer me and what I could offer the world. London probably wasn't my first choice to live but would be the easiest place to go in terms of work and not having to face any language barriers. In the end I loved it and am so glad I chose to base myself there.


2. What were your first impressions? My first impressions of London weren't that good actually. I think it was because I was pretty much alone and London was one of those places to make the most of-you need to get out there and make a life for yourself. So first impressions were cold (I arrived in March), grey and lonely. 

3. Where are your favourite places in this city? Oxford street, Spitalfield/Sunday up markets, Nottinghill, my lovely West Kensington flat, Borough markets, Punk.

4. What had surprised you most?  I think I was surprised how much I loved it by the end and how much it just felt like home to me. I even got to the point where I didn't care about the weather!

5. How has your idea of the city changed since you have been here? I think when I first got there, and having my pre conceived notions about it, I thought life would just happen. You go to London and exciting things happen. Its more you have to work for that. You need to put yourself out there, look for things you like doing, seek out events and places to go. Nothing just comes to you in London. I think by the end I just realised if you want to be the party girl, or make a career for yourself, or just simply be the most fashionable person you can be, it was all achievable. Maybe it's nostalgia, but London makes you want to branch out and be everything you can and I don't know if I believed that would be the case to begin with. 

6. If you could transport one piece of London back to Australia with you what would it be? All the amazing shops, bars and restaurants. I know that's 3, how could one person narrow it done to one.?! Ok, category-recreational aspects.

7. East London Boys: Love them or hate them? Love. boys are way too cute for their own good there. If only I were single at the time...

artworks by Natsku Seki via her website

No comments:

Post a Comment